In a previous newsletter, we introduced you to our Helping Hand program. The Helping Hand program is for people who need counseling but whose financial circumstances might prevent them from getting it. Our Resident Therapists provide counseling to people without insurance (or the ability to pay out of pocket) on a sliding scale basis. So, what would someone need to do to become enrolled in this program? Here is a brief overview of the process.
- Step 1: Call us at (630) 372-6599, and ask to talk to Sherry. Inform her that you are interested in our Helping Hand program, and she will let you know if you qualify.
- Step 2: If you qualify, Sherry will work with you to find a time that works for you and for the therapist. For first sessions, there will be a $20 fee. This fee may increase or decrease depending on the information we receive on your Helping Hand Application (see Step 3).
- Step 3: Upon arriving at the office for your first session, you will be asked to fill out our Helping Hand Application. The application asks for your financial background information so that we have a better understanding of your financial situation. We take into consideration income, financial stressors, and number of dependents.
- Step 4: Once the application is completed, our Resident Therapists will review your application. Village Counseling Center uses a formula to determine an appropriate sliding scale fee based on the information you provide in your application. When the Resident Therapists determines this fee, he or she will discuss it with you either prior to or during the next session.
- Step 5: As you go through the counseling process, inform your therapist of any changes in your financial circumstances. Your therapist will work with you to adjust the fee as needed based on your financial difficulties and successes.
We have had hundreds of people go through our Helping Hand program with great success. If you or someone you know needs counseling but does not have insurance and/or cannot pay out of pocket, please give us a call, and our Resident Therapists will be eager to meet with you.